Thursday, June 8, 2006

Weird Wednesday

I'd like to think I would be able to just get used to being stared at.

At least no one pulls my hair and tweaks my skin like African kids used to.

But mostly its just a bland inscrutable stare, and I've been practising my own blank look in return.

For those brave, clever individuals who feel the need to show off the fact that they have noticed the presence of a foreigner (like we are hard to see in the crowd), and who have "learnt English" in school to the extent that they announce their discovery with a "Hellooow" over their shoulder, I try to always respond with a cheery "Hellooo!" back again. I know I probably shouldn't 'encourage' them, but at least I can walk away feeling reasonably good about myself and not grouchy.

So, yesterday (Wednesday), standing at the bus stop ...

Everyone who passed me - walking or bike or scooter - looked at me and smiled!

It was just so weird. I checked my clothing, over and over - everything was done up, no spills, stains or tears ... I tried to tame my hair - rather a wild half-grown-out perm at present. Still, they kept coming past smiling at me.

Another young chap went past, a smile on his face, and I could swear as he went on his way I could see his shoulders trembling with laughter.

I checked my clothes again, patted my hair, rubbed my face to make sure I wasn't smiling, then took my back-pack off and held it in front of me just in case there was something that needed hiding still.

If you are reading this and waiting for the punch line - there isn't one. I still have no idea.

No comments: