Friday, June 23, 2006

The Last of the Little Emperors

A school principal told me in my early days of teaching that I would burn out in five years ... After fifteen years of exuberant teaching I was well past burnt out - crispy. So a sight like this could be enough to seriously mess with what's left of my mind.

kindy kids

They are four years old, and kind of cute, definitely clever, and they love "Lucy Laoshi", their visiting foreign teacher.

These lucky kids attend the "Duke English and Art Kindergarten" which certainly is a cut above any other Chinese schools I've seen. Talk about a "print rich environment" to bombard the little sweeties with important learning from every possible angle.

classroom door and stairs

If that was your classroom door, would you be afraid to enter? And for the little tikes who just need to be excused, there is a sign (on the back of the piano) to make sure they ask right.

toilet signs

They have books and toys and learning aids, and tiny tables and chairs to sit on. And upstairs there is a place to sleep.

tables upstairs bedroom

Duke Kindy is a delightful and amazing place, and the kids are the cutest. But yesterday was my last lesson there. (Except for the English competition on Saturday which I am going to help judge ...)

kids

Good bye kiddies ...

We are going to Turkey.

Are you even listening? We have been offered a job in

Istanbul!

Love Wuxi. Looking forward to Turkey.

No comments: