Monday, June 5, 2006

Teaching Gibberish

I remember one of my very early attempts at babysitting. I didn't know much about kids or how to talk to them, and I was minding a toddler who kept falling over - and every time he did I would say, somewhat inanely, "Oops a daisy!" It was no big deal, except that by the end of the session the child had learnt his own version of the expression, much to his parents' puzzlement when he continued to repeat it over the next few days.

After that I realised that it could be quite amusing to teach strange and wonderful sayings to small children for them to repeat back to their unsuspecting parents ...

But what about when my students are already adults. Would it be too naughty - ?

We were doing some work on idioms today, always a difficult topic. My students learnt, amongst other things, the expression "deep pockets" as in: "Ask Tom for the money, he has deep pockets." So they understood that the expression meant "wealthy, able to afford it."

But then they were talking about a boy at university, studying hard to get a good job so that in the end he would have deep pockets ...

no, no. no

Not only do I not feel inclined to go back over it all again to correct it, but I am suddenly tempted to teach them lots of other fun stuff.

No comments: