Friday, October 14, 2005

Sucked Out

You may have heard of the expression "Sucked in", meaning of course I was tricked into doing something foolish.

Well, I am more afraid of being sucked out.

I had never seen these roll-up fly-screen windows before. Our kitchen window and the lounge-room window that opens onto the roadway (four storeys below) have no middle strut. When you close the plastic-framed sliding glass windows there is no frame that they shut to, they just meet in the middle. But there is a flyscreen, which you pull out of the two side frames and pull together until they magnetically hang onto each other in the middle.

So, normally, when the windows are open it looks ok, because there is still the flyscreen meeting across the middle of the open space. But every now and then the magnets in the flyscreen edge suddenly say "Nope, we're not doing this any more.." and they let go. And with an alarming zzzzzzrrrt!!! sound that makes me spin my head around to see what is about to get me, the flyscreen flies open. And suddenly there is this huge open hole, about two metres wide. I feel like I need to hang on carefully to furniture as I stumble across the room to drag the flyscreens back across the open space before I get sucked out ...

No comments: